Spring Cleaning for People Who Hate to Clean


I have this issue. I love a clean house, but I hate to clean. It really causes a conflict sometimes, especially around spring. As the sun shines through my dingy windows, I ask questions like “What is that on the top of my ceiling fan?” and “What is that stain on my wall?” and “How long has my house been like this?” These are questions that I would never ask in winter. In winter, the dim and limited light never reveals any cleanliness issues. Instead, I can live in a sheltered bliss, believing that my house is clean enough. Once the light of spring comes through my windows, though, my blinders come off and I’m instantly challenged to clean up my winter mess. So, for everyone out there like me who hates cleaning but loves a clean house, here’s my guide to spring cleaning.

1. Work on one room each day.

You already know you don’t like cleaning, so take one little piece at a time to make the chore more bearable. Try to save some of the larger or high-traffic rooms for days when you have more time, and take care of the smaller rooms when you don’t have a lot of time. Some examples of high-traffic rooms might be your living room, bedroom, kitchen, and bathrooms.

2. Gather all your supplies before you start.

Make sure to have all of the cleaning products that you like to use and plenty of rags in the room that you’re cleaning before you even start. This way, you eliminate trips outside of the room that your cleaning. I have found that these trips often lead to me finding something that I’d much rather be doing--something important like folding the clean laundry that I haven’t managed to fold in the past two weeks.

3. If you have allergies, get a mask and glasses.

Yeah, I’m pretty stylish when I commit to cleaning my house. I also happen to be allergic to pretty much everything that gets moved around while I clean. So, to ensure that I don’t get really sick the day after I clean (which makes me hate cleaning that much more), I wear the necessary protection. If you have allergies, you should, too.

4. Work from top to bottom.

For every room, plan to clean: Ceiling by removing cobwebs, Overhead light fixture, Tops of cabinets or bookcases, Windows and window dressings, Furniture in the room, All horizontal surfaces, Walls, Doors, Baseboards or other decorative mouldings, and Floors. Start cleaning up high and work your way down. You will want to do your floors last because of all the dust and debris you will have knocked loose in the cleaning process. I recommend that you vacuum and mop the floor. This is the only part of the room that I think needs double cleaning. For many rooms, it won’t actually take a long time to work through this checklist. Be aware that the kitchen will probably take the longest time to clean. This is because of the cooking grease that settles on cabinets, windows, and virtually every horizontal surface in your kitchen. When it’s time to clean the kitchen, make sure that you give yourself extra time and lots of the right cleaners so that you can do the best possible job de-greasing your kitchen.

5. Show your appliances some love.

Now that everything is cleaned, it’s time to show your major appliances some love. You Furnace, Air conditioner, Washing machine, Dryer, and Fireplace or stove.
may not realize it, but major appliances need some attention at least once a year. Some people will recommend that you clean your appliances once a month, but hey! I don’t really like cleaning. Once a year is probably sufficient, but it is important that you take the time to look at the manuals (or spend some time on the internet) to discover how exactly the manufacturer recommends that you care for your appliance. There’s a reason that you chose the appliances you did, so take the time to follow the instructions for appliance care. Here are some appliances that should get some TLC: Dishwasher, Stove, Oven, Refrigerator, Microwave,

6. Check for maintenance issues.

Now that everything is all nice and clean inside, you can really see any maintenance issues. In a previous post, “Spring Home Maintenance Simplified,” we discussed how you can spot maintenance issues both inside and outside your house. Walk through the inside of your newly clean house to see if you spot any potential maintenance issues.

Once you’ve checked out the inside of your house, go outside. Make sure to take the time to clean the exterior of your home. Clear debris from the windowsills and roof. Check for any cracks or potential structural issues. Once you’ve got the outside all cleaned up, you’re done!

Remember, the key to spring cleaning is to take it bit by bit. There’s no rush and no rule that says it all has to be done in one day. We hope these tips help make spring cleaning more manageable and less horrible. From those of us at Ramseier Realty Group, have a happy (and clean) spring!

If you’re thinking of buying or selling a home, give us a call at 816.262.8077 or contact us through our website. We’re ready to help you (with everything except cleaning).

Comments

Popular Posts